Fingerprinting | Security Licensing | Canadian Pardon Applications

Medical Marijuana Licensing

If you are interested in obtaining a license to become a provider - now is the time. Sting is approved to do the Criminal Record Check needed in the licensing process. Call today to make an appointment!


The process for getting licensed to legally grow and distribute marijuana in Canada is changing and we have an outline of the steps involved to meet requirements and become a supplier in the industry. Read the steps below which will provide all the information needed. You will also find links throughout of legal documents provided for your review in order to get your business up and running.


<< PLEASE NOTE: As a result of ongoing litigation, the dates below have been put on hold until the courts come to a decision for Health Canada in regards to Medical Marijuana. >>

There are changes on the horizon concerning Canada’s medical marijuana laws. Canada is transitioning from the current Marijuana for Medical Access Program (MMAR) to the Marijuana for Medical Purposes Regulations (MMPR). The programs will run concurrently until March 21, 2014. On April 1, 2014, individuals must obtain marijuana from licensed commercial producers, as opposed to Health Canada. It will be a mail-order distribution system of dried marijuana. If you’re interested in obtaining a license to become a provider, now is the time do so.

On April 1, 2014, Authorizations to Possess (ATPs), Personal-Use Production Licenses (PUPLs), and Designate-Person Production Licenses (DDPLs) issued by Health Canada will expire. At this time, those who produce marijuana for personal use or use a designated person production license, or have purchased marijuana from Health Canada, must destroy all of their plants and dried marijuana or place plants with a licensed producer.

The Government has transferred production and distribution of marijuana for medicinal purposes to companies that have met security requirements. Production in homes will be illegal. Licensed producers are authorized to possess, produce, sell, provide, deliver, transport, ship, export and import marijuana for medical purposes (import and export certificates must obtained after licensing), and destroy marijuana.


1. Eligibility

To be eligible for a producer’s licence you must be an adult who ordinarily resides in Canada or a corporation with a head office in Canada or branch office in Canada. You must also designate a senior person in charge who has responsibility for the overall management of marijuana production and distribution. In addition there must be a responsible person in charge who works at the licenced producer’s site and supervises activities related to marijuana. The senior individual in charge can also name one or more alternate responsible adults to work at the licenced producer’s site and who have been given the authority to replace the person in charge if that person is not available.

You can apply as an individual or a corporation.

You must comply with the requirements in the Marijuana for Medical Purposes Regulations.


2. Pre-Application

Prior to Applying for a License:

The applicant has to give written notice addressed to a senior official of the following local authorities in the area of their proposed production site:

  • The local government.
  • The local fire authority.
  • The local police force or Royal Canadian Mounted Police detachment that provides policing services to the area.

This notice must include:

  • The applicant’s name.
  • The date when the applicant will submit the application to the Minister of Health.
  • The activities that will be conducted in respect to marijuana for which the license is being sought.
  • The site address and address of buildings within the site, if applicable, where activities will be conducted.


3. Criteria

Information to be Included in the Application:

Marijuana must be grown indoors and not at a private residence. In order to receive a license, the government must receive the following information from the applicant to determine if they have met all criteria:

  • An application signed and dated by the senior person in charge and a signed and dated statement that says the information and documents submitted are true and complete to the best of their knowledge and they bind the applicant.
  • If applying as an individual, you must submit your name, date of birth, gender, and any additional name registered with a province that you would use to identify yourself or conduct licensed activities under.
  • If applying as a corporation, the corporation must include its name and any other name registered with a province that it would use to identify itself or conduct licensed activities under. In addition, the corporation must provide the name, date of birth, and gender of all officers and directors.
  • Applicants must submit the mailing address, telephone number, fax number (if applicable), and e-mail address for the proposed production site and each building within this site.
  • The Minister must receive the name, date of birth, and gender of the proposed senior person in charge, responsible person in charge, and alternate responsible persons in charge.
  • The name and gender of any person authorized to place cannabis orders on the applicant’s behalf.
  • A list of the proposed activities that will be conducted at the site, the reason for each activity, and the substances related to each activity.
  • Applicant must describe in detail the physical security measures that will be implemented at the production site.
  • A quality assurance report that proves the site, including buildings, the sanitation program, and equipment meet good production practices.
  • A photocopy of the notices sent to the local police force, local government, and local fire authority.
  • A detailed report on the method of record keeping that the applicant proposes.
  • If applicable, the maximum amount of marijuana that will be produced or sold under the license.
  • If applying to produce marijuana at multiple sites, a separate application will have to be completed for each site.

Accompanying Documents:

  • A signed and dated declaration by the senior person in charge that states that this person, the responsible person in charge, and proposed alternate people in charge know the provisions of the Act and its regulations, as well as have knowledge of the Food and Drugs Act.
  • A copy of all documents filed with the province where the site will be located. The document must contain the applicant’s name and any other name under which they will be doing business.
  • A copy of incorporation or any other constituting instrument if a corporation is applying.
  • A signed and dated statement by the senior person in charge that indicates whether or not this person owns the proposed production site.
  • If not owned by the applicant, they must supply a statement signed and dated by the site’s owner that consents to the use of the site for the licensed activities.
  • A signed and dated declaration from the senior person in charge stating that the production site is not a private dwelling.
  • A statement signed and dated by the senior person in charge that includes the names, titles, and addresses of the officials contacted for the notices to local authorities. The applicant must also include the date they contacted the officials and a copy of the notices.
  • A form signed and dated by the quality assurance person. This form must include a description of the person’s qualifications and a report stating that the building(s), sanitation process, and equipment comply with the requirements.
  • Floor plans of the site.


Applications can be downloaded here.


4. Security Clearance

The senior person in charge, the responsible person in charge, alternate responsible people in charge, the individual to which a license is to be issued, or if a corporation, each officer and director, must hold a security clearance. The application for a security clearance must be signed and dated by the applicant and include:

  • The applicant’s given name, surname, all other names used, and information concerning any name changes.
  • The applicant’s gender, height, weight, date of birth, eye colour, and hair colour.
  • The number and province on their birth certificate if born in Canada.
  • If born outside of Canada, the applicant must identify their place of birth, port of entry into Canada, and date they entered Canada. If a naturalized or permanent Canadian resident, the number of the certificate issued under the Citizenship Act or the Immigration and Refugee Act is required.
  • A copy of valid photo identification issued by the Canadian government or a province or a copy of the applicant’s passport with the passport number, expiration date, applicant’s photograph, and country of issue.
  • Each address where the applicant resided for the five years prior to applying.
  • Information on the applicant’s activities over the last five years, including names and addresses of employers and post-secondary educational institutions attended.
  • The dates, destination, and purpose for any travel outside of Canada for more than 90 days, during the last five years.
  • Information on spouse or common-law partner including the gender, full name, surname, maiden name, place and date of birth, date of death (if applicable), the number and province of issue on their birth certificate if born in Canada, if not, their place of birth, nationality, port and date of entry into Canada, and present address.
  • Information on former spouses and common-law partners within the last five years that includes their gender, full name, surname, maiden name, their date and place of birth, date of death (if applicable), and their present address if known.
  • The applicant’s fingerprints, which can be taken by a Canadian police force or private company (Sting/Pacific Fingerprints Services) accredited by the Royal Canadian Mounted Police (RCMP) to submit fingerprints for a criminal record check.
  • A signed and dated statement from the applicant or licensed producer certifying that they require a security clearance and the reasons for this requirement.

When the minister receives the completed security clearance application, they must conduct a criminal record check of the applicant and a check of the files of law enforcement agencies, including intelligence gathered.


A license will not be authorized if all of the necessary parties are not granted the security clearances required under the MMPR. In addition, applications for a license won’t be processed until completed Security Clearance Application forms have been received.


5. Submission

Completed applications to become a licenced producer, including all attachments, should be mailed to:

Controlled Drugs Section

Licenses and Permits Division

Office of Controlled Substances

Controlled Substances and Tobacco Directorate

Health Canada

150 Tunney's Pasture Driveway, Tunney's Pasture, A.L.: 0300B

Ottawa, ON K1A 0K9


For more information:

Register Now